Workplace Organization is a visual performance management tool that lends order, safety and standardization to work flow, which in turn helps reduce waste and lower costs. A means to workplace organization is “5S,” a methodology popularized in 20th century manufacturing, particularly automotive mass production. 5S stands for:
- Sort: Separating the essential from the non-essential.
- Straighten (or Set in Order): Organizing essential items where everything has its place.
- Shine: Making sure everything is clean, organized, functioning and ready to use.
- Standardize: Establishing a system of standard work with visual controls so anything that is non-standard becomes obvious and easily detectable.
- Sustain: Making 5S a habit and continuously promoting it throughout the workplace.